On Abecromby Street stands the historical burial ground established by the Calton Incorporation of Weavers in 1787. This cemetery is also known as the Calton Weaver’s Cemetery. The cemetery contains a remarkable monument, to those Weavers killed by the military during a dreadful strike in 1787. The original burial ground was expanded in 1822, approximately doubling in size. Another magnificent monument includes an ornate obelisk where the remains of Abraham Lincoln’s minister Reverend James Smith DD who was born the son of Glasgow couple, Peter and Margaret Smith, on 11th May 1798. James Smith was one divinity student who survived to undertake a ministry of 40 years abroad in America. He returned to Scotland before the end of the American Civil War, but so high a regard did Lincoln have for him that he appointed James Smith US Consul in Scotland. The Category B listed Abercromby Street cemetery was restored by Glasgow City Council in 2010.
- Historical features
- Wheelchair access
- Wildflower meadows
309 - 341 Abercromby Street, Glasgow G40 2DD