The cemetery was established in 1871 by the Craigton Cemetery Company to serve south-west Glasgow, Govan and Partick. The original cemetery extended to 30 acres on lands of Wester Craigton and Merrylands, previously owned by Robert Urquhart.
The main shareholder was Thomas Reid (1831-1900) of the Govan Dye Works. Fellow directors included Morris Pollok (1831-1899) and William McOnie (1813-1894) (later Lord Provost of Glasgow). The first burial took place on 9 June 1873, being that of seven-year-old Isabella Guthrie.
From 1876 to 1877 various reburials took place moving earlier graves from Blackfriars Churchyard which was removed for railway improvements. From 1881 the cemetery also permitted Jewish burials in their own section known as the “Bet Chaim” (House of Life). This section was closed in 1908.
- Historical features
10 Cemetery Road, Glasgow, Glasgow G52 1SJ