Deaconess garden is a small but popular site in the southside of Edinburgh.
The garden is beside the former Deaconess hospital which was opened in 1894, primarily to provide training for missionary deaconesses, but also to provide a much needed medical service to the local community.
The original hospital had 24 beds and extensions in both 1897 and 1912 brought this total up to 42. The hospital had five wards: Charteris, named after the hospital’s founder Professor A H Charteris; Houldsworth, named after the Misses Houldsworth of Ayr who were generous subscribers; the Children’s Ward which had 18 beds, six of which were on the balcony; Deaconess for church workers; and Moray. There was also a busy out-patient department. The hospital closed in 1990 and has recently been refurbished for student accommodation.
The actual Deaconess Gardens used to be larger but the St Leonards medical centre was built on part of the land in early 2000.
West Richmond Street, Edinburgh