Drum Park is primarily used as a sports venue by Fernieside Football Club. The park also has a popular play area with a variety of different types of play equipment, seating and picnic table. 20,000 natural daffodil bulbs have been planted at the Drum Street end of the park which will give a welcome splash of colour in the spring months.
History and Heritage
Originally part of the Drum estate, being named after the ancient royal hunting forest of Drumselch, which once covered the land from The Drum to Holyrood. Maps from the 1800’s indicate that there was an ‘old quarry’ near Drum Street end of the park.
The entire area suffers from subsidence problems arising from large-scale underground workings; coal was mined immediately to the south from the 17th century until the Gilmerton Pit closed in 1961 and widespread limestone quarrying became important in the 19th century.
- Football pitches
- Play area
Drum Avenue, Edinburgh EH17 7EQ