The city’s third Necropolis was opened in 1847, shortly after the larger Southern Necropolis opened in Gorbals. It was laid out in the large grounds of Janefield House, and as a result is sometimes known as Janefield Cemetery.The house itself was owned by wealthy grocer Robert McNair, who named it for his wife, Jean Homles. McNair was known as a bit of an eccentric Glasgow character; he often dressed in bright, colourful fashion, and ordered that the key-stones in the arches above his shop be cut to look like absurd human faces.
The Eastern Necropolis, like many cemeteries in Glasgow, is the final resting place for a number of armed forces personnel lost in the two World Wars. It also has a small Jewish section opened by the Glasgow Hebrew Congregation in 1855, although it has not been regularly used by the Jewish community since the early 1900s.
- Historical features
Parkhead, Glasgow, Glasgow G31 4DR