Commonly referred to as the New Burial Ground or North Burial Ground in order to distinguish it from the more ancient burial place south of Glasgow Cathedral, the graveyard was open in 1801 on land occupied by prebendary manses on the western banks of the Molendinar Burn. Lair registers and gravestones record the number of merchants, writers (lawyers), medical professionals, architects and builders, sculptors, service, bankers and manufacturers interred.
This graveyard contains many important tombs and monuments dating from the 17th century, some set into the boundary walls. The boundaries are defined by cast-iron spearhead railings and coped walls.
This cemetery was restored by the City Council in 2017.
- Historical features
Castle Street, Glasgow, Glasgow G4 0QZ