Kinneil Estate a fantastic former estate park which is great for walking and cycling or just getting away from it all. Kinneil Estate lies to the East of Falkirk District. The site is managed by Falkirk Community Trust.
It covers approx.160acres and houses the impressive Kinneil House.The land of Kinneil Estate were originally granted to Walter Fitzgilbert by Robert the Bruce in 1323. The grounds remained in the ownership of the Hamiltons until 1922, whenthe woolands were purchased under the Public Parks Act, to allow the public access to the woodlands for walks and recreation.Built next to the Antonine Wall Kinneil was the chief seat of power for the Hamiltons.
The house also has a good claim to being the birthplace of the improved staem engine.The pioneering engineer James Watt had a small workshop here in the 1700’s. Named as a World Heritage Site in 2008, a section of the wall and a roman fortlet dating from 142AD can be found on the site. These have been partly re-instated with the addition of interperative signage. The Kinneil Museum also displays detailed information about the wall, and the history of the estate and surrounding area.
- Car park
- Community growing space
- Cycle path (inc mountain bike trails)
- Historical features
- Play area
- Visitor centre
- Water - Pond / Loch / Burn / River
- Wildflower meadows
- Wildlife viewing
Kenneil Estate Falkirk, Falkirk EH51 0PR