A small and pleasant park with a range of facilities, including tennis courts, play area, sensory garden and picnic area. Surrounded by a wall, the west side of the park is graced by some fine mature silver birch trees as well as cherry, holly, yew, rowan and laurel. The Balcarres Street entrance has 3 flower beds and a grove of mature lime trees enhance this park further. At the Morningside Drive entrance a number of cedars create impact and interest.
The park takes a northern slope, but enough room has been created for a grassed area where people can play ball games or merely enjoy the fresh air. Both entrances have metal gates and railings and the hard paths through the site are all suitably lit. The park was awarded its first Green Flag in 2011.
History and heritage
It is one of the city’s long established parks, once part of the old Plewlands Farm, which was a link with olden times. The ruins of Plewlands were still on the site until the 1920s when the park came into Council control from the Scottish Provident Property Co Ltd in 1913
- Picnic Benches/Tables
- Play area
- Tennis Courts
Balcarres Street, Edinburgh EH10 5JP