Glasgow’s largest park, Pollok Country Park was voted the Best Park in Britain 2007, and Europe’s Best Park 2008.
The extensive woodlands and gardens provide a quiet sanctuary for both visitors and wildlife.The Park is rich in rural history formerly being part of the Old Pollok Estate and ancestral home to the Maxwell Family.
The Park is also home to the world famous Burrell Collection and Pollok House. The Walled Garden contains many features of interest to gardeners of all ages. Mature yew hedges section the garden into compartments containing seasonal bedding, collections of plants such as Hosta’s, Fuschia’s and herbaceous displays, which are complimented by the displays within the adjacent glasshouses.
Car parking is available at the Burrell Collection and the Riverside car park. The park also contains 2 alloment sites.
This magnificent countryside park with its superb walled gardens and woodland walks was once part of the Old Pollok estate and was the ancestral home of the Maxwell Family for seven centuries.
The parkland and house was gifted to the City of Glasgow in 1966 by the Maxwell Family along with the remainder of the estate being used for farming and recreation, particularly golf.
The Park has been the site of three castles
The first a wooden structure dating back to 1160 which was located on the banks of the White Cart Water
The second was a fortified tower with a moat and drawbridge and was built around 1270 by the first Maxwell on high ground where the woodland garden in now located
Around 1500 it was replaced by a new castle named Nether Pollok Castle built on the banks of the river where the Old Stable Courtyard now stands . This castle was destroyed by fire in 1882 and the area was cleared and the stable
The Walled Garden contains many features of interest to gardeners of all ages. Mature yew hedges section the garden into compartments containing seasonal bedding, collections of plants such as Hosta’s, Fuschia’s and herbaceous displays, which are complimented by the displays within the adjacent glasshouses.
Woodland garden with its woodland walk is accessed via the Library Garden at Pollok House. The garden contains many Rhododendron cultivars and species reflecting the deep interest of Sir John Stirling Maxwell in the subject. Sir John was not only a plant collector but also a Rhododendron breeder and expert. He named many of the Pollok bred cultivars after his friends and acquaintances.
- Car park
- Cricket pitch
- Cycle path (inc mountain bike trails)
- Floral display
- Flower garden
- Football pitches
- Historical features
- Natural Heritage Service - Ranger Service
- Playing fields
- Rugby pitches
- Tennis Courts
- Visitor centre
- Wheelchair access
- Wildflower meadows
- Wildlife viewing
2060 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow G43 1AT