Saughton Park is one of Edinburgh’s hidden jewels. It has a large tract of well-managed open space with playing fields and athletics track, the biggest skate board park in Scotland and a modern creative play area. Spread over 34 acres, it also has a delightful formal garden in classic style and featuring the largest herbaceous border in Edinburgh as well as neatly-clipped yew hedges, flower and heather beds, a sunken Italian garden, specimen trees, a glass Winter Garden with exotic plants, a Scottish Physic garden and a rose garden that has won Saughton fame.
History and heritage
Saughton Park has had an interesting and varied past. The majority of the area came into Council ownership in 1900 when it was purchased from Sir William Baird. At that time, a nine-hole golf course, nursery and playing fields were laid out. In 1908, Saughton became the site of the great Scottish National Exhibition, opened by HRH Prince Arthur of Connaught. During the Second World War, the formal gardens were turned into onion beds as Saughton helped dig for victory. After WWII, Saughtonhall mansion house, which had earlier been turned into an asylum for the mentally ill, was destroyed in a controlled burning by the fire brigade and Royal Engineers, as it had become riddled with dry rot. In 1984 the Winter Garden was formally opened by Lord Provost John McKay. Most recently, an award winning skateboard park was constructed in 2010 and the entire park has undergone an £8m restoration with funding from the National Lottery, Sustrans and other external, sources.
You can find out more on Saughton Park, which includes information on the restoration project and how to get involved.
Toilets in Winter Gardens are open weekdays 09:00-18:00 and weekends 09:00 – 18:00.
Serviced by Lothian bus route 22, 3, 33, 36, 1, 30.
- Car park
- Floral display
- Flower garden
- Football pitches
- Play area
- Playing fields
- Skateboard and BMX park
- Wheelchair access
Balgreen Road, Edinburgh EH11 3BQ