Covering 46 acres over a large hillside, Sighthill Cemetery was opened in 1840 with the first burial on the 24th April in that year. By 1893, the entire grounds were being used for burials. The hill stands 400 metres above sea-level, and offers panoramic views of Glasgow and beyond.
Perhaps the most famous people to be buried at Sighthill are Andrew White, John Baird and Andrew Hardie, two of three men executed for treason for their involvement in the “Radical Rising” of 1820. Although lacking the grand tombs of the Glasgow Necropolis, providing for the city’s middle-class, it does feature the impressive Martyr’s Monument, designed by James Leggat, and erected by public subscription in 1847. The original entrance gates were designed by John Stephen of Scott, Stephen & Gale in 1839 and are in an ornate Greek style.
- Historical features
225 Springburn Road, Glasgow G21 1SA