Activities & Events
If you are running an activity or event you can post it on the website.
Springburn Park has one of the most beautiful rockeries in Scotland, a garden of peace and three wildlife ponds.
The park is filled with evergreen and flowering trees, shrubs, rhododendrons, heaths, rock and alpine plants.Situated in the north of the city in the park is bounded by Broomfield Road, Balornock Road, Balgrayhill Road. Springburn and surrounds, and contains a variety of listed buildings, monuments and sporting facilities set within landscaped areas.
Facilities include synthetic football pitches with changing accommodation, multi-pitches, three bowling greens, a cricket pitch, and children’s play area.
Dominating the southwest corner of the park is the now derelict A listed Winter Gardens. The Winter Gardens is now the oldest structure that was gifted as part of the formation of the original park.
Glasgow Corporation acquired the land for Springburn Park in 1892. At this time the land was indifferent agricultural land with the remains of an ironstone pit at one corner and an old quarry at the other.
Sir James Reid of the Hyde Park Locomotive Works (1823-1894) lived nearby at Belmont House and contributed to the park’s development.
A monument to Sir James was erected by public subscription in 1903
His sons contributed to the purchase of the lands of Cockmuir farm when the park was extended in 1900
The Winter Gardens were built by Glasgow Corporation as a condition for accepting a £12,000 gift from Hugh Reid of the North British Locomotive Company to finance the construction of the nearby Springburn Public Halls.
The Winter Gardens were much loved by generations of Springburn residents for their displays of exotic plants and for the concerts and exhibitions held there. Classified as an A-Listed building, the Winter Gardens have remained derelict for the last 20 years due to major structural problems. At present the City Council is attempting to raise funds to restore this site to its former grandeur.
The existing Mosesfield House stands near the site of the old Mosesfield House, occupied from 1790 by William Moses a merchant who made his fortune from selling sedan chairs o The new Mosesfield House is a two storey ashlar house, built in 1838 by the renowned architect David Hamilton for a bookseller called James Duncan. It later became the Manse of one of Springburn’s churches. As a member of the ‘Mo-car’ syndicate ( effectively an early menage) George Johnston, the minister’s son, built the first motor car ever produced in Scotland at Mosesfield yard in October 1895. With finance from Sir William Arroll, Arrol-Johnston motor cars were produced for the next 30 years. Mosesfield House was presented to the Corporation in 1904 by Hugh Reid of Belmont and the lower part of the house served as a museum until just before the second world war, after which it was converted for use as an old men’s club, which is still functioning today.
- Car park
- Cricket pitch
- Floral display
- Football pitches
- Historical features
- Multi-use games area
- Wheelchair access
- Wildflower meadows
- Wildlife viewing
Balgrayhill Road, Springburn, Glasgow G21 3HQ