Valleyfield Wood lies east of High Valleyfield. This is a great place to see snowdrops in late Winter.
Although it is hard to see, the wood is part of a nationally designed landscape. It was once part of the Valleyfield House estate, owned by Baronet Sir Robert Preston. The estate was changed into a designed landscape by the English gardener Humphrey Repton and it is his only commission in Scotland.
At present the remains of Repton’s designed landscape are hard to see but include ornamental canal pond and a walled flower garden.
Another famous person who worked at Valleyfield is David Douglas. In 1823 he travelled to North America. The Douglas Fir is named after him. Douglas is credited with introducing more than 240 new plant species to Britain.
West Fife Woodlands have planted an orchard at the north edge of the wood.
Leighton St, High Valleyfield, Fife KY12 8TP